Short Term Rentals
THE GOVERNMENT OF ONTARIO HAS MADE SOME CHANGES TO SHORT TERM RENTALS DURING THE EMERGENCY PERIOD. THESE INCLUDE:
or more information regarding these changes please visit: https://www.ontario.ca/page/list-essential-workplaces
Short-Term Rentals Licensing
Beginning January 1, 2020, property owners who operate short-term rentals such as Airbnbs will be required to obtain a short-term rental licence. This new initiative is part of a one-year pilot that includes required licensing and enhanced by-law enforcement for regulatory items (i.e. health and safety, outdoor sleeping accommodations and local contact person). Staff will monitor the program and report back to Council at the end of 2020.
- Town of Fort Erie Short Term Rental Licence Application Form
- Short Term Rental By-law
- Schedule 13 - Short Term Rentals
- Schedule 13 - Short Term Rental Penalties
- Schedule 13 - Short Term Rentals Fire Safety Plan (occupants of 11 or more)
- Schedule 13 - Short Term Rentals Fire Evacuation Plan (occupants 10 or less)
- Schedule 13 - Short Term Rentals Guest Rules
Information for Hosts, Guests and Neighbours
Licenced Short Term Rentals in Fort Erie - When licencing of Short Term Rentals is active you will be able to view a list of property addresses here.
If you have a concern about a Short Term Rental that isn't of an urgent nature you can create a "contact us" submission which will be sent to the By-law department during regular office hours.
WHEN TO CALL BY-LAW ENFORCEMENT The Town of Fort Erie wants everyone to enjoy being part of the community. If you have a concern about noise and nuisance, parking, property standards, or building violations, please call the Town of Fort Erie By-law Enforcement office Monday to Friday from 8:30-5:00pm at 905-871-1600, ext. 5215
If you have a concern about noise or nuisance or parking outside of regular business hours, please call the non-emergency number for the Niagara Regional Police at 905-871-2300
In case of an Emergency, always call 911
GARBAGE AND RECYCLING COLLECTION is managed by the Region of Niagara. Ask your host or advise your guest about who is responsible for putting out the garbage and recycling during the stay. There is a one-bag limit for all garbage. If you have more than one bag of garbage you will be required to purchase a garbage tag at a local convenience store.
Please visit the Region of Niagara's website to confirm when garbage and recycling collection is scheduled.
PARKING GUIDELINES The Town of Fort Erie By-law Enforcement Officers as well as the Niagara Regional Police enforce By-law 84-2014 with regards to Parking. Please review information regarding PARKING GUIDELINES.
OPEN AIR BURNING is permitted under certain circumstances. Please review the rules and be safe. Sometime hot, dry weather results in a burning ban. The Fire Department will provide information about a ban through the Town Website, on social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, etc). It would also be noted in the newspaper and on local radio stations.
If you have concern about open air burning and it is not an emergency, please call the Fort Erie Fire Department at 905-871-1600
Please visit the following link for a more comprehensive view of Commonly Referenced By-laws
SOME OF THE TOWN BY-LAWS INCLUDE:
Lot Maintenance By-Law 92-2019
This By-law deals with a number of issues, however of importance is the following:
- Inoperable vehicles, including motor vehicles, trailers, boats, motorized snowmobiles, any mechanical equipment designed to be drawn, propelled or driven by any type of power including muscular power.
- garbage, debris, refuse, wrecked including machinery, dismantled things, things exposed to the elements, broken concrete, brick stone waste lumber, indoor furniture, household appliances, furnaces, fuel tanks, wiring sewage, ashes any article that has been cast aside or abandoned.
The By-law requires that every person shall keep their property free of refuse. No person shall dump refuse onto another person’s property. Every person shall ensure that the public highway, sidewalk, boulevard and back lane around their property is kept free of refuse.
Refuse defined by the By-law does not cease to be refuse by reason that it may be commercially saleable or recyclable.
Property Standards By-law 186-08 The maintenance of both land and buildings within the Town of Fort Erie. In addition to dealing with garbage and debris the by-law also regulates the condition of buildings, such as structural soundness, heat water, lighting, windows, doors walls, stairs, guardrails, plumbing walls, ceilings and floors. If you believe that your concern may fall into one of these categories it is suggested you contact Town Hall and speak to staff directly
Fence By-Law 71-2016 This By-law deals with such items as heights of fences, construction materials privacy screens.
Front Yard Measurement
- Measured from the front property line for a distance of 4.5 metres (15 feet) the maximum height of a fence is 1.25 metres (4 feet) for a chain link fence or 1 metre (39 inches) for a solid style fence.
- Once this distance has been reached the maximum height for a fence is 2.3 metres (7 feet 6 inches).
- Where a person wishes to construct a fence on a corner lot please contact the By-Law Department for further advice.
Dogs are permitted in the following parks:
- Lions Sugar Bowl ( Dog Leash Free Area)
- Battle of Ridgeway park
- The Friendship Trail.
- Dogs are not allowed on any of the Town owned Beaches
Regulating Noise and Nuisance Within the Town-General Prohibition The by-law requires that No person shall make or cause or permit noise that is likely to disturb an inhabitant of the Town. There is no specific time when noise is prohibited, the complaint could be at any time of the day or night.
The following are considered noise:
- Bells, horns sirens on a motor vehicle except when it is required by law or for safety reasons.
- Loud radios televisions, other electronic devices
- Yelling , shouting swearing a loud conversation
- The condition of a motor vehicle when it is in disrepair
- Revving of a motor vehicle
- Barking dogs
- Construction work is prohibited between 9:00pm and 7:00am any day
- Attracting or feeding animals domesticated or otherwise that causes a nuisance.
- Exterior lighting that is directed or deflected towards adjacent lots.
- Garage Sales: the event can only take place between 8:00am and 6:00pm; Only 4 garage sales scheduled per calendar year.
Swimming Pool (In Ground and Above Ground) In accordance with the Town's Pool By-law No. 149-08, all types of swimming pools, including private spas (hot tubs, whirlpools and jacuzzis) which contain water having a depth 0.6 metres (24”) at any point, requires a pool permit. Unless a pool or private spa is being dismantled and reconstructed within the same location.