Short-Term Rental Licenses are non-transferrable.
There is currently a moratorium on accepting new Short-Term Rental applications as a result of Town Council's review of land use controls pertaining to Short-Term Rentals. This work is expected to be completed by the end of 2022.
As of January 4, 2022, eligible 2021 Short-Term Rental licence holders will be able to renew their licence for 2022 in accordance with the Short-Term Rental By-law.
Short-Term Rentals in Fort Erie
The Fort Erie Short-Term Rental program was launched in 2020 to help establish and regulate terms and conditions for Short-Term Rental businesses operating in Fort Erie. The program was introduced by Town Council due to a growing number of concerns from fire services, bylaw enforcement and local residents. Some areas of concern included fire safety, property maintenance and a lack of local contact.
Starting January 1, 2020, all Fort Erie Short-Term Rental operators (such as Airbnbs) are required to obtain a Short-Term Rental licence from the Town of Fort Erie. Licence application forms can be completed online.
2022 Short-Term Rental Program
The Council of the Town of Fort Erie has implemented a number of changes to the Short-Term Rental Program commencing January 4, 2022 including:
- The number of Short-Term Rental licences issued shall be limited to 250 in any given year with 2021 licence holders being provided the first opportunity to renew a licence by March 31st, 2022 provided the licence holder has complied with all rules (meaning 5 demerit points or less) during the previous year.
- The maximum occupant limits in a Short-Term Rental shall be as follows:
- 1 bedroom = maximum 4 people
- 2 bedrooms = maximum 6 people
- 3 bedrooms = maximum 8 people
- The maximum number of bedrooms in a Short-Term Rental shall be limited to 3.
- Short-Term Rentals with more than 3 bedrooms are allowed to operate and additional bedrooms shall be closed off with appropriate signage posted on the door(s). Maximum occupancy is 8 persons.
- Annual fire and building inspections shall be carried out for each Short-Term Rental premises.
- The time limit for guests visiting Short-Term Rentals shall be 11:00pm each day.
2022 Short-Term Rental Application Fee:
• 1 or 2 Bedrooms = $750.00
• 3 Bedrooms = $1,250.00
Required Documentation for Short-Term Rental Licence Renewals:
- Completed renewal application form
- Proof of insurance for Short-Term Rental use (minimum liability coverage $2M)
- Fire Evacuation Plan
- Owner Consent Form (if applicable)
- Certificate of proof that the well water is safe to drink (if applicable)
Failure to obtain the appropriate licence will result in a $1,500 fine and 15 demerit points. In addition, a list of registered Short-Term Rental properties in Fort Erie is now available.
To access eServices and pay an outstanding administrative penalty please click here.
Contacting By-law Enforcement (905-871-1600, ext. 5216)
We want everyone to enjoy being part of the Fort Erie community. If you are concerned that a Short-Term Rental property might be violating Town bylaws (i.e., noise and nuisance, parking, property standards, fire safety or building violation), please take a minute to review our FAQs or Short-Term Rental By-law to confirm. If confirmed, please call Municipal By-law Enforcement during hours of operation at 905-871-1600, ext. 5216.
Hours of Operation (May 1 to September 30)
Hours of Operation (October 1 to April 30)
If you have concerns about a Short-Term Rental property regarding noise and nuisance or parking outside of regular business hours, please call the non-emergency number for the Niagara Regional Police Services at 905-871-2300. In case of an emergency, always call 911.
Bay Beach (Also known as Crystal Beach)
Fort Erie Short-Term Rental operators can purchase Commercial Season Passes for $100 each. Short-Term Rental operators must have a registered 2022 Short-Term Rental licence in order to purchase Commercial Season Passes.
To purchase Commercial Season Passes online please visit: https://www.forterie.ca/resource/eservicesBayBeachPass.xsp.
Please be advised that physical Commercial Season Beach passes are now available.
Short-Term Rental operators/owners may:
a) Pick-up the Passes at Town Hall (1 Municipal Centre Drive) anytime between 8:30 AM -4:30PM, Monday to Friday, save and except holidays. You can bring either a printed copy of the receipt (e-mailed) or your smart phone with the e-mail on it along with photo ID for you or the person you have designated to collect the pass(es). Please contact Town Hall via phone at 905-871-1600 prior to pick-up to ensure your order is ready.
b) Receive the Passes via Mail - Pass(es) will be sent first-class mail with Canada Post. Please be aware that the Town will not be held responsible for delayed, lost or damaged items and we will not be in a position to reissue pass(es) for any such reasons.
Please take a minute to review the By-laws referenced above as well as reference our FAQs for operators to further better understand our Short-Term Rentals program. For more information, please contact our Business Licence Coordinator at email@example.com or 905-871-1600, ext. 2252.