Culture & Recreation >> Museums, Heritage & History

Fort Erie Railway Museum


Fort Erie Railway Museum

Address
400 Central Avenue
(N. of Gilmore Road)
Fort Erie, Ontario

Get directions

Contact Number
905-894-5322 

Picture of Historic Train

Hours: Open Daily 9am - 5pm. Closed July 5, 6 & 7 due to Ridgeway Festival.

Closed seasonally from Labour Day-Victoria Day

Canadian National Railway steam engine 6218 is the cornerstone artifact of the Fort Erie Railway Museum. Built in 1942, and newly repaired in 2018, the 4-8-4 wheel configuration Northern type served well into the 1960s. In its retirement it serves as a reminder of days past when Fort Erie boasted the third-largest rail yard in Canada. As well as a host of artifacts including tools and telegraphic equipment, the original Grand Trunk Railway Station in Ridgeway and the CN B-1 station (used to monitor traffic over the International Railway Bridge) were moved to the railroad museum site and are being preserved. The B-1 serves as office and gift shop. The Ridgeway Station houses the main exhibit area.

Exhibits:

  • 6218 Steam Engine
  • Local Railroading Exhibits
  • The Romance and the Reality
  • Tourist and Excursion Lines in Fort Erie


For information on the history of these buildings, please click the links provided below