Residents >> COVID-19

COVID-19 - Enforcement & Closures

COVID 19 Update Header Photo, Blue with images of microorganisims and icons of hand washing, social distancing and staying home.

Enforcement of Mandatory Closures & Restrictions


  • During normal business hours, after hours and weekends, concerns around enforcement of COVID 19 emergency orders should be directed to the Town of Fort Erie at 905-871-1600 Ext 5216 or submit an online form.
  • Do not call 911.
  • For all COVID 19 health matters and/or inquiries, please call the Public Health hotline at 905-688-8248 or 1 (888) 505-6074 (press option 7 then follow the prompts).

When does proof of vaccination begin in Ontario?

Beginning September 22, 2021, you will be required to show proof of double vaccination and a valid form of identification upon entry to certain businesses/premises.

Where can I get my proof of vaccination?
You can go online to . They have also been previously emailed to you and/or printed to you during your second vaccine appointment.

I am Indigenous and do not have access to the online services, what do I do?
The Province of Ontario permits the use of hand-written vaccination cards for indigenous communities. You can supply this card with a Status Card or Indigenous member card for Identification.

What constitutes “Fully Vaccinated”?
In accordance with the Province of Ontario you must have received either:

  • A full series of COVID-19 vaccine authorized by Health Canada
  • One or two doses not authorized by Health Canada, then 1 dose of an authorized vaccine, or
  • Three doses of a non-authorized vaccine.
  • You must have received your final dose 14 days prior to be considered fully vaccinated.

Where am I required to show proof of vaccination?
You are required to provide it upon entry to:

  • Indoor restaurants, bars, and other food establishments
  • Indoor and outdoor areas of places serving food and beverages, which also provide dance facilities. Example: Nightclubs, restoclubs.
  • Indoor areas of meeting and events spaces, this includes conference centres and convention centres.
  • Sports and recreation facilities, this includes: Waterparks, fitness trainer facilities, indoor areas where spectators watch events (arenas, stadiums, other sporting venues).
  • Bingo Halls, Casinos etc.
  • Concerts, Theatres, and cinemas.
  • Bathhouses, sex clubs, strip clubs.
  • Indoor areas of horse racing tracks, car racing tracks, and other venues which host similar events.
  • Indoor areas for commercial filming events.

When am I not required to show proof of vaccination?
You are not required to provide it when entering to:

  • Use a washroom
  • To access an outdoor area where you must travel through an indoor area
  • To enter a retail store for the purchase of goods
  • While placing or picking up an order of any kind
  • Paying for an order of any kind
  • Purchasing admission
  • Or necessary for health and safety

Can I be exempt?
There are exemptions to the above noted requirements if:

  • You are under the age of 12
  • You are under the age of 18, and are entering to play an organized sport
  • You provide a written document, completed and supplied by a physician or registered nurse, stating a documented medical reason or the effective time period for the reason

I have a funeral located in a place of worship or similar establishment, what does that entail?
There is no requirement for anyone entering to show proof of vaccination.

My wedding takes place indoors, do my guests need proof of vaccination?
Between September 22, 2021, and before October 13, 2021, your guests must show proof of a negative COVID-19 test 48 hours prior to the event.

Who must be checking proof of vaccination?
The person responsible for the business or organization must be ensuring patrons meet all criteria above, at the point of entry into the business or organization.

Who do I call if I believe a business is not complying?
During business hours you can contact Fort Erie Bylaw 905-871-1600 x5216. If it is located outside Fort Erie, or after hours contact Niagara Region at 905-984-3690.

Am I required to show a Police Officer or Municipal By-law Enforcement Officer my proof of vaccination and Identification?
Yes, under the Reopening Ontario Act you must identify upon request if a Police Officer or any other Provincial Offences Officer believes there has been an offence committed.