Budget & Finances
The Town’s budget is developed annually and designed to support Council’s Strategic Plan and Official Plan commitments. The process relies on sound financial planning and prudent fiscal management practices. As a result, the Town is able to allocate resources appropriately to provide services to its residents and effectively maintain infrastructure.
Tax Dollar Distribution for Fort Erie Residents
Who Provides What Services?
Residential Tax Comparison by Municipality
2021 Budget Timeline
How to Get Involved
Staff Reports, Presentations and Public Notices
The budget is guided by Council’s 2018-2022 Strategic Plan with priorities that include:
- Optimizing health, housing and social well-being through service access and healthy lifestyles.
- Sustainable infrastructure for the future.
- Attracting interest and investment through strong advocacy and promotion.
- Promoting business, economic growth and employment opportunities.
- Managed growth through responsibility, stewardship and preservation.
The Town collects taxes on behalf of the Town, Niagara Region and school boards. For 2020, the Town receives $0.46 of every $1.00 of residential property tax collected.
The Town of Fort Erie strives to strike the right balance for residents: maintaining existing services, programs and infrastructure and providing new services while minimizing tax increases. In a climate of increasing costs, this can be a challenge. The Town’s tax burden is relatively low and the water and wastewater costs are relatively high but, when combined in 2018, Fort Erie was 2.8% above average. The water and wastewater costs are impacted due in large part to the relatively low number of account connections per kilometre that are available to pay for fixed infrastructure costs compared to other municipalities.
Capital Budget & Forecast
November 18, 2020 - Budget-in-Committee: Capital report and presentation
February 16, 2021 - By-laws: Levy & General Capital
Water & Wastewater
December 9, 2020 - Budget-in-Committee: Water & Wastewater report and presentation
January 18, 2021 - By-law: Water & Wastewater Budget and Rates
General Levy Budget
February 3, 2021 - Budget-in-Committee: Town Levy & Library reports and presentations
February 13, 2021 - By-laws: Levy and General Capital
- Attend a Council-in-Budget-Committee Meeting or Council Meeting and/or speak as a registered delegate. Those looking to speak as a delegate must register one week prior to a Council-in-Budget-Committee meeting.
- Provide feedback to your Mayor or Ward Councillor through their Contact Us Form or email.