Decks, Porches & Verandahs
When is a Building Permit Required?
According to the Ontario Building Code (OBC), a Building Permit is required for the construction of a deck, porch or verandah that is attached to the main dwelling & the walking surface is higher than 0.6 metres (2'-0") above the adjacent grade. Including when the structure is elevated to provide principle access to a building or is free standing & greater than 10.0 square metres (108.0 square feet) & when any structural renovations/ changes are made to an existing deck.
Prior to submission of a Building Permit application, please consult with the Building Department @ 905-871-1600 Ext. 5510.
What is required for a Building Permit submission?
The Town will require the following information;
- A site plan identifying the size and location of the proposed deck, porch or verandah;
- All setback distances from the proposal to all property lines;
- The size & location of the existing buildings & structures;
- Two copies of construction drawings including foundation details;
- Elevation plans subject to the construction including all details;
- If the roof structure is proposed, then a roof detail is required;
- All plans submitted must be appropriately scaled;
- Any necessary approvals and/or permissions from other agencies (i.e. Niagara Regional Planning and Development Services, the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority (NPCA), the Town's Environmental Advisory Committee (EAC) etc.).
In order to complete the drawings to the satisfaction of the OBC & the Town of Fort Erie's Planning & Development Services Department, it may be beneficial that you seek the assistance of a professional (i.e. Designer or Architect). Their familiarity with the OBC requirements, drawing detail & design will prove useful.
Please refer to the sample drawing and ensure that the drawings proposed for submission match or exceed the level of detail. Please note that the sample drawing is strictly intended to be used as an example only.
Required 2018 Permit Fees:
- Decks, Porches & Verandahs $0.42 per sq.ft.
- Municipal Protection Deposit $500.00
The Municipal Protection Deposit noted above is returned once the project has passed the final inspection.
Should the calculated fee not exceed $130.00, then the minimum fee of $130 fee is charged
The information provided is intended to assist & guide the buidlding permit process. Regulations & fees are subject to change, therefore, please contact and consult the Building Department Staff.
How do I obtain a Permit Application?
Permit Applications can be obtained:
- Online at www.forterie.ca;
- At Town Hall, 1 Municipal Centre Drive, Building Department - Second Floor
For further information with the Deck Permit process, please review the following video.
Information Current to January 2018